Thursday, December 08, 2005

Something once in a lifetime...

I wrote this part this morning, at about 8:30am:

Yesterday all the correct weather factors came together at the same time. About mid-morning, white stuff started falling from the sky. Being from the Central Valley of California, I had heard about this elusive phenomenon but rarely experienced it. The snow fell lightly throughout the afternoon, and it got really cold outside. This meant icy roads and dangerous driving conditions (which already exist anywhere Texas drivers congregate, anyway). So, this California boy was about to switch from rare experience to “that’s never happened to me before.” Here it is:

Today school is closed. Because of snow.

Just re-read that. If you live where I grew up you understand how significant this is. This doesn’t happen. School occasionally gets closed on account of an earthquake or mudslide or something, but snow? Nuh-uh.

Now I’m sitting in my pajamas, drinking coffee with hazelnut creamer and reveling in a day off at quite possibly the most critical possible juncture in the semester. Seriously, I couldn’t have chosen a better day not to have school even if I was the one in charge of snowflake distribution. Yet another reason to thank God for being so amazing.

So, I’m off to get a load of homework done and enjoy this free day.

I wrote this part around 4:30pm, as a bit of a summary:

So, of course, I planned to do disgusting amounts of homework today. That was the plan. As I sat in IHOP with some friends, I thought about the plan. Then I shoveled more eggs into my mouth and tried to put the plan out of my mind.

After IHOP I did, in fact, attend to the plan. Got a little homework done, but then I decided that it was time to do something even less appealing than the plan. It’s not that I hate taking showers (no matter what Greta says), but on days when I have nothing to do and nowhere to be, there’s something somewhat magical about just sitting around in my own filth. But, I caved and decided to take a shower. Let me reiterate that it is cold outside. This means that the pipes are cold. This means that everybody takes really hot showers in the dorm building. And most of them do so before 2:00pm. That means that when Benji decides to climb into the shower, the water is going to be cold. Real cold.

Have you ever been so cold in the shower that you use the blow dryer to warm up afterwards? Me neither. Till today. Remember, this whole snow day thing is new to me.

So, here’s the summary: It snowed, school got cancelled, I developed a plan, I ignored the plan and went to IHOP, I got some homework done, I took a shower and nearly froze, I got warm, got some homework done and even got some hot chocolate out of the deal.

Overall, I’d say this was an ideal way to spend a snow day. Compared to the none that I’ve had before, of course. Hope you enjoyed your snow day, too.

6 comments:

aspire2 said...

LOL. We stayed in jammies until noon. While the students were thrilled to have extra time for homework, the invalid prof rejoiced over one less day of having to bum rides to and from class.

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great day, Son! You won't get many in your life, unless of course, you move to Minnesota or some equally cold place! See you soon! Mom

Jacob Glidewell said...

Dude, your mom called you "son"...where everybody can read it. HA HA! That's like, so like a mom, ya know? Dude. My mom calls me embarassing stuff like Jakey, and cutie-patutey, but it's not out there for every one to read...oh, wait.

Brady said...

I too had this amazing plan to get all my projects done and be like senior productivity.

but i farted around and still stayed up to 2am getting some work done that I easily could have done at 12p.

I might just have to come to terms with the idea that I like staying up late and punishing myself the next day...masichisim isn't so bad

B and K said...

However, you fogot something. It didn't actually 'snow.' You see when snow falls - you don't hear it. It actually sleeted. But being from California I expect you to not understand the difference.
Thank you - and goodnight!

Jacob Glidewell said...

Benji, Benji dissapeared
Benji, Benji are you scared?
Benji, please don't hide away,
You can write again today!

Benji, man why don't you write?
Did you and your computer have a fight?
Benji, Benji write today
So I can laugh my blues away.