Tuesday, February 21, 2006

News from Subland...

Sorry it’s been a while since my last post. Things have been a bit crazy.

Today I subbed in a middle school math class. In lieu of a math assignment, the students had to write a three paragraph essay (if something of only three paragraphs can be called that) about a recent project they finished. Apparently, this project involved taking pictures. If I gathered the snippets of info correctly, I believe they were supposed to take pictures of basic geometric shapes around them and then create an album.

The teacher’s directions were really clear. First paragraph – Describe your project. Tell what you did. Use lots of details. Second paragraph – Describe making your project. Who helped you, what materials did you use, where did you get the materials, how long did it take? Third paragraph – Write three things you learned about yourself during this project.

Now, this doesn’t seem too tough. In fact, most students finished in about ten minutes and had thirty-five left to do something quiet at their desk. Then there were a handful of other students. For them, it wasn’t as easy. A couple students took almost the entire forty-five minutes to write their three paragraph opus. I worked really hard to keep the students who had finished quiet so that the others, who were clearly struggling, could finish.

I noticed one boy in particular. He had come in quietly, sat right down and worked the entire class. I was feeling badly for him that the other students, who had finished far more quickly, were talking and making it tough for him to finish. I was pretty hard on the talkers. I was this boy’s personal academic savior.

Only three minutes before the day was over, he handed in his essay. Yes! I had done it! I had vanquished the forces of noisiness and rescued this poor academic peasant from their clutches just in time to save his precious essay.

As he laid it on the desk, I smiled at him. Then I glanced down to see the marvel that had so consumed him. As follows, with all spelling, punctuation and paragraph divisions intact:

“I made a crapy project. Mine was messed up. My project has a green cover.

I did my project on the last day. I took all the pictures on the last day. I used my cousins construction paper.

I learned nothing. I hated the project. I have a A.D.D. so I can’t listen.”

This is the child I defended. This is the future of America.

I feel defeated.

5 comments:

Tim said...

As always, made me laugh. but, i must say i was disappointed by the abnormal amount of grammatical errors in this one. seems like you forgot that you need a comma to inbetween two successive adj:

personal academic savior

poor academic peasant

just thought i'd mention it

Jacob Glidewell said...

Grammer isn't not everything. I am used to working with little kids at a schook for little kids years ago. I have a kid once years ago that came up to me in tears in her eyes. I asked her why she cries, and she talks me that she's having a small kitchen in her house; and that; the small kitchen; am what haveing her so up set. I would of did laugh but for that it wasn't not right for me to giggle at an child thats was up set.

Greta said...

Tim, my friend.

I hate to break it to you, but your statements above do NOT require a comma. The reason they do not is that they are not intended as lists. Commas are required if, in the statement, and "and" would also suffice. In the examples above, one would not put an "and" there.

If you want to know where I got this check out "Eats Shoots and Leaves." Stop picking on my man....even if you are the girlfriend!!

Anonymous said...

Benj, you need to know that Jim Eikenberry says that "you are the future of the country" and that you shouldn't be depressed. Mom

aspire2 said...

Greta is right. (But that book title needs a comma: Eats, Shoots and Leaves.) And what about the rules on capitalizing, eh, Tim?