Wednesday, July 19, 2006

It’s a tough time to be a man…

While walking through the library at The Dallas Theological Seminary, I stopped cold in my tracks. There, winking up at me from the section devoted to periodicals and journals, was one of my worst fears confirmed.

The cover story of New Man magazine—which claims to be “America’s #1 Christian Men’s Magazine”—was about something called “Edge-tosterone.” A brief glance at the table of contents revealed that the main article dealt with why men were created to take risks and why it’s Scriptural for them to do so. Seriously, I hate this kind of crap.

I blame almost all of this on John Eldredge. Now, I know that there are those who have benefited from his books The Sacred Romance, Wild at Heart and Captivating (which he co-wrote with his wife, Staci). And that’s great that God has used those books to minister to so many people. But that doesn’t mean we should just accept the whole message uncritically.

The gist of my issue with Mr. Eldredge and the article in New Man is this: what they’re peddling is not really true. Nothing too major, just, you know, truth. Each of these works calls men to be “what God intended” and then uses sketchy methods of interpreting the Bible to show what that looks like.

To wit, in Wild at Heart, Eldredge claims that the first man was born in the wilderness and, as a result, all men long to be back where things are wild. That cannot be shown from Scripture. Also, all men want a woman to rescue, a mission to complete and a pint of Guinness to finish off the day. (Alright, that last one I made up, but it’s pretty much the message.) They look for these things in life and when they don’t find them, they substitute other things and become miserable shells of their ideal selves. Disturbingly, Eldredge seems to find far more inspiration from Hollywood than Jerusalem and models his “ideal man” less after the Suffering Servant Messiah and more after the blood-spilling William Wallace and Maximus Decimus Meridius (Commander of the armies of the north, general of the Felix legion, and loyal servant of the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Yeah, I saw it.)

New Man seems to buy into the same concept, talking about the feminization of the church (the feminized church, apparently, is notable for its long messages, singing and emotional aspects), the need for churches to play up Jesus’ angry side as much as His loving side and man’s inherent need for risk. The article places the blame for risk-adverse men squarely on the church and calls men to rise above and become tough and rugged. Like Eldredge, New Man seems to be drawing a picture of manhood that is firmly rooted in the world around us and less in the Word before us. To top off the frustration, New Man shows the promised Scriptural support of its “risk-taking man” paradigm with exactly zero quotations from Scripture. Yeah, less than one. I looked closely.

The reason this makes me so angry is because it’s so wrong. I’m not at all against men finding God’s plan for their life, but I am against reading it into a script we wished we’d starred in. I prefer to read it in the pages of Scripture. The pages that call me to be conformed to the image of Christ (Romans 8:29). The pages that call me to consider the example of Jesus, not only when He drove out the money changers in zeal for the house of the Lord, but also when He “took the form of a servant” and “humbled Himself” to the point of death (Philippians 2:5-11). Perhaps those who want to re-write the paradigm of manhood have yet to learn to be content with servanthood.

This was one of Paul’s points for Christian marriage—another arena in which the He-Man Christianity Club wants to beat us into submission—in Ephesians 5. Husbands are called to “love their wives as Christ loved the church” (Ephesians 5:25, emphasis mine). Paul goes on to point out that Christ showed His love for the church by giving Himself up for her. Perhaps that’s what a man was “meant to be”: one who willingly lays down his life for others. Not in some super-heroic, Hollywood ideal, “I’ll dive and take a bullet for you” type of way, but in the simple, daily living out of life. Open her car door. Turn off SportsCenter and talk to her about her day. Take her by the hand and go for a walk. Do the dishes before she can. Then ask her what kind of a spiritual leader you’re being.

I looked everywhere for the verse that said, “By this all men will know you are my disciples: If you have a hunger for risk and a desire to piss off cliffs.” I also didn’t find “self-fulfilling adventure” in the list of the Fruit of the Spirit. The truth is we are called to be many things, kind as well as bold, servants as well as leaders. We ought to be searching for a wholistic approach to being God’s image bearers, not an unnecessarily and dangerously one-sided approach. Unfortunately, our so-called experts aren’t helping.

Let’s call men to follow the Savior’s plan for their life, not Hollywood’s. Whether that takes them into the wilderness or daily to their knees is not mine to say.

As for me, I would be better off with a stronger desire to serve others and a more humble estimation of myself. As it is, I’m already too fixated on my being supreme. When I struggle with that most, it’s not helpful for me to picture myself as some great face-painted, blood-soaked warrior. Jesus is the one returning to conquer, not me. Instead, I need to fall to my knees and ask God to conform me into the image of His Son, stripping away the impurities and making me into a vessel fit for His use. After all, I am nothing but a jar of clay and God is free to shape me into whatever form He finds most useful. And I simply pray He is pleased with me even if I never carry a sword or climb the face of Everest.

6 comments:

Brady said...

I am not sure that your two different aspects of men are mutually exclusive. I am not sure these two points (suffering servant/ william wallace) are as far apart as you make them seem.

I am not a friend of the whole God taking risks idea, but I am a friend of the cliff-pissing idea. I know that we always want to find scriptural support for everything we do, but I don’t think that we can. I don’t think that scripture points us too much about what a “man” is. This is not so much about scripture as it is about the way our society has taken things. We have never had to ask this kind of stuff before, b/c being a “man” has never before been in question.

I think there is something to being a man that is different. That different-ness I think is what is being infringed upon by the “feminizing” of stuff…not the worship, emotional point that you made. This is close to me b/c I never had any male role models, and I was raised by all women all I ever knew about being a “man” was that they were bad. Being a man is something to be fixed (intentional pun). This feminizing of men I don’t think takes the shape of being emotional, but being weak passive weenie men. We are not encouraged to not be weenies b/c non-weenies are bad-abusive men. The rejection of passivity and taking up the call of being a “man” is my onus to share. To encourage the rejection of passivity and to let men know it is okay to do “manly” things and that being a “man” is something God has designed us special for can at times take the form of pissing off cliffs and this is where I think that the “cliff-pissing” idea has some merit.

But acknowledged that it doesn’t have to take this form, maybe you can dance the dance of a rebellious man rejecting passivity and confronting the evils of the world through dance, and for that I will give that man props.

too much rambling off I go to work
b

Jacob Glidewell said...

Aguh! 'Ow Dare yeh! Mockin' maysealf on yur ol blahg. Eye shoul' cut yein tween, yeh littel pipsqueak! Eyema mahn! An' eye no a righ' sigh' better than yeh wha' it means ta haffa figh' fur life, love, an' tha 'bilities ta wag yur wanker at tha opposin' si'! 'Ow dare yeh call me a nottaman!

--Willy W.

Tim said...

I'm so incredibly offended. If my heart truly was wild I'd find a tall mountoun to climb from which I could look over its precipice until I saw you walking by and then piss on you.
Sadly, I am a part of the aforementioned feminized church. As such, I lack such a perniciously courageous spirit. And so i'll simply continue to pee in my porcelain pisser like I always have, each dribbling droplet reminding me how all things civilizes have rendered me virtually unrecognizable from the feminine form.
Until I see my penis, that is.

Jacob Glidewell said...

Hello ... My name is Al.
(Audience: "Hi Al.")
And I'm a man.
(Aud: "That's Okay, Al. We're all men.")
I just wanted to mention my breakthrough. I was walking through a park, just an ordinary park, the other day. I came upon a little hill and then went up on the little hill. I was so overcome with maleness, thr urge to unleash my inner masculinity, my testies-ronni as the italians say--
(Man in Aud: "Uh, I'm Italian and I've never said that.")
SHUT UP! I'm a man! The urge was there and instead of listing to the brainwashed programming of my feminist church, I unzipped my pants and pee-ed off the hill, shouting the whole time, "Look at me! I'm a man, peeing off a cliff!"
The cops came and told me I couldn't pee off the hill. I told 'em to stuff it! That I was a man, pissing off a cliff. On a secondary note to this breakthrough I do have a prayer request. My hearing is coming up and I can't afford a lawyer ...

Greta said...

2 Feminists in the family? Yikes!

To me it comes down to validation. I've read Wild at Heart and the bottom line for me is that I think Eldredge trades one validation (women, for example) for another - ruggedness, warriorness, etc.

I think that feminism gets a bad rap for "causing" men to be passive. It is probably a factor, but not the factor. I mean, if you dread conflict and avoid it like the plague, (passivity), it is because you've been emasculated by society? Or could it just be your personality and family history, and etc, etc, etc have played into who you are?

it just drives me NUTS to hear someone say "Man up, the women will follow." What?! No. Women follow people who model Godly characteristics, regardless of gender. If I follow you, it is not because you are a man, it is because I see in you something of Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Greta,

A man's "personality and family history" don't live outside of society and it's influences and messages.

You shouldn't follow any man here unless he's your husband or pastor. If you don't see Jesus in your pastor, switch churches. If you don't see Jesus in your husband, I'm afraid that the Bible says pray, model Christ, and serve your husband still.

Of course, I'm not your pastor or your husband, so pay no attention to this comment...