Thursday, November 17, 2005

Behavioral issues...

Recently, I subbed in a class for children with significant behavioral issues. These children do not function well in a traditional classroom.

I worked with possibly the most patient woman I’ve ever seen in action (besides my wife, of course, who is sainted simply for putting up with me). This lady sat and took verbal abuse from these children who were not shy about calling her names. She sat and took professional abuse as these children openly messed around while she attempted to teach them. She read and did nothing but try to help them while they acted as if they couldn’t care less. But, she pressed on and never once raised her voice. She was stern when necessary, constantly reminding them that their choices would dictate her response, but she never yelled or appeared angry. In the middle of the day, I had a thought.

This must be a little glimpse at what it’s like for God to watch the church sometimes. He waits patiently as we openly disobey, abuse His name through our lifestyles and don’t listen to the things that are intended to do us good. He reminds us that our choices have consequences, as we laugh and make jokes about grace. Simply put, the church has significant behavioral issues.

I was terribly convicted in that classroom. I thought that the teacher showed way more patience than necessary, staying calm during times when I would have blown up. Then I thought how glad I am that God does the same as her. He stays patient with us when He would be more than justified to respond in anger.

I’ve been reading through the Old Testament lately and have been impressed with God’s patience, mercy and grace. His people were disobedient and He chose not to destroy them. He is the same way with the church. When we are disobedient, He extends grace and mercy. I know that I give Him plenty of opportunity to extend such grace and mercy and am thankful every day that I serve a patient God.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you for writing this.

The Bottom Line said...

Real Deal, welcome to my world. These are the kids i work with on a daily basis. I bet if you asked her how she does it, she realizes that the anger and the agression have nothing do with her. It easier to deal with that when you know its not you they are mad at. I actually am going be teaching a SDC class hopefully next year, (sdc = Special Day class for students who are ED or SED emotionally disturbed and severely emotionally disturbed. As far as God goes, you make an excellent point but to bring it a little closer to home, think about all the stuff our parents put up with and still handled themselves accordingly, i think theres a little bit of god in all of us..............even Freddy J. Hilpert...............tell Greata Hello